Improper care of alternative human hair can lead to tangling and matting of your piece. Take a look this step-by-step process our team takes to revive human hair wigs and other hair pieces.
Assess the problem areas:
- Tangling and matting at the nape;
- Dry and frizzy hair;
- Hair reversed inside of cap.
Pin the wig to the canvas head:
- Use t-pins to secure at the top of each ear tab;
- Pin at the bottom of each ear tab;
- Pin at the outer corners of the nape area.
Begin the detangling process:
- Separate the hair into small sections to begin the detangling process in the extremely matted areas;
- Separating into small sections allows you to have more control in that area and does not put as much tension on the hair when brushing/combing through.
Condition the wig:
- Combine Jon Renau Luxury Smooth Contioner with 2-3 pumps of Argan Treatment Mist;
- Blend products in your hands
Rub the products into the matted area:
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas;
- Avoid applying too much or getting near any hand tied areas.
Detangle one more time
- Gently begin to comb the tangles out in small sections;
Wash your wig:
- Next step is to perform our recommended cleansing process for human hair systems;
- Using cool running water, use Jon Renau Luxury Smooth Shampoo and rinse;
- Then apply Jon Renau Luxury Smooth Conditioner throughout mid-strands and ends, then rinse.
Deep condition the wig:
- After the wig has been cleansed, you will begin the deep conditioning process;
- First, brush through the wig with Jon Renau Paddle brush.
- Next, apply Jon Renau Luxury Smooth Conditioner and 4-6 sprays of Jon Renau Argan Smooth Treatment mist through the hair avoiding the base of the cap.
- Finally, apply low heat around the hair with a blow dryer for about 1-2 minutes;
- Once deep conditioning process has been completed, rinse the wig with cool running water.
- Once your wig cap is completely dry, re-dampen the hair.
- Gently brush through the hair and apply Jon Renau Blown Away Blow Dry Balm. This will help to smooth the cuticles and protect against UV damage.
- Use a round Boar Bristle Brush to blow dry.
Style as desired:
- For this piece we used Jon Renau Heat Treat Thermal Spray to protect the hair from heat damage and curled the hair with a curling iron.